Saturday, May 24, 2008

Chocolate Cranberry Blondies

Not really a cake and not really a cookie, that's what's so rustic about bar bake goods.  I find the subtle taste of a blondie much more satisfying than a brownie.  To me, brownies are always much too dense for my liking.  Plus, you can insert other flavours into and blondie and not have it get drowned out by the heavy buttery chocolate flavour.  Not that I don't love chocolate, I do but the intenseness of the butter and eggs just makes me want to put down a brownie after just one bite.


It is an easy one bowl recipe, fast and easy.  The original recipe came from the baking bites web site.  I tend to like my sweets much less sweet than prescribed in most recipes and I try to use whole wheat pastry flour wherever possible as well as substituting in some oil for butter.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup grape seed oil
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup each semi-sweet choc chips, white choc chips, cranberries
Mix sugar and butter/oils.  Add eggs one at a time and vanilla.  Stir in half of the flour.  Stir in remainder of the flour with the chocolate chips and cranberries.

Bake in 350F oven for 30 minutes in a 9x9 pan.  Let cool in pan and cut into desired portions.

No comments: