Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Whole Wheat Bagels

Lately we've been having toast once in awhile with Philadelphia Strawberry cream cheese (the light version).  It's a nice alternative to an overly sweet and fat ladened dessert.  Instead of the store bought breads, I thought I'd try and make my own type of bread - much healthier, without the unknown ingredients.  I saw this bagel recipe/article on Chow's website weeks ago.  Before I could start, I was in search of malt syrup - found it at whole foods.  A little expensive but I didn't want to wait any longer.  Don't have the time.  There's something satisfying about creating your own baked good - especially bread.


The process was actually pretty simple.  I would definitely do this again.  Plus, bagels freeze very well.  I did modify the recipe with some whole wheat flour and with less salt as some of the comments suggest.  A pastry whole wheat flour must be used - the plain old whole wheat flour would just make it too heavy and dry.  Pastry whole wheat flour is great for a lot of other baked goods.  I like the one that Whole Foods sells under their brand - again, a bit pricey so I'll have to research some more on where I can get some cheaper pastry wwf.

No comments: