Sunday, June 08, 2008

One Restaurant: Don't believe the hype.

Restaurant:  One Restaurant
Where:  116 Yorkville Ave, Toronto, ON.  416.961.9600

Given the ratio of price to food satisfaction, I would say that this was the worse meal I have ever had.  For what we shelled out in cash for this meal, the quality of food, workmanship and service was not worth it at all.  Yes, One is what people may consider a swanky restaurant but I would never step foot in it again.  I've had much better meals for a fraction of the price.

If you want to show off your newly purchased painted on dress, too tight t-shirts, designer wares and yourself, then this is the place to go.  If you're there for a good meal for your money, this isn't the place to go.  I too can go out and buy an expensive cut of beef and slap it on my fry pan, cut angled slices with my sharp $20 knife and serve it on a metal platter from Little India to my hubby on our balcony.  I too can serve oysters on the half shell without knowing where they're from along with condiments and a dirty sticky spoon.  I too can fry onion rings in old oil that makes my batter all brown and low temperature oil so that it's dripping with grease, serve it to my hubby and call it tempura onion rings.  The less expensive sushi establishments that dot Queen St. W and this whole city can give a lesson to their kitchen staff on how to fry a light tempura - not day old oil that oozes greases when bitten into.  I too can serve a concoction of juices in a martini glass and tell my guest it's very special without letting know what's in it.

Might I just add, I don't want to go to a restaurant of "supposedly" this calibre and be told by the wait staff that at least 6 items listed is not available.  If such items are difficult to source, just don't include it as a regular item on the menu.  If you happen to have it, then add it as a special insert.

What we ordered:  1/2 dozen oysters, terrine of foie gras, kampachi, 12oz strip steak, tempura onion rings & medley of mushrooms (special of the day - this was to rook you in the buy a more expensive version of the morels that they didn't have).

The olive bread was good though, that was probably outsourced.









No comments: